Start

About the Association

Coordination group

About the Ecopark

Early History

Different sections


The different sections of the Ecopark

 
Click on the small pictures to see a larger copy.
Photographer Bengt Rundquist

Skeppsholmen - Kastellholmen
This is where the Swedish Navy moved its base in 1640, which has given the islands their maritime character. These islands contain a number of attractive buildings, embedded in a green garden landscape. Beside boats around the island the maritime atmosphere is today tempered by museums - of Modern Art, Architecture and Far Eastern Antiquities.


Skeppsholmen and the schooner af Chapman - now a youth hostel
   
The Island of Fjäderholmarna
The Ecopark merges with the archipelago in the island of Fjäderholmarna. Their traditions date back to the 17th century when they used to be full of inns used by the people from the archipelago on their way to the market in Stockholm. Today a popular day-trip goal with a genuine archipelago feeling. The skerries offer many attractions and a wealth of birds to watch.

Fjäderholmarna Island
   
Djurgården
The Rayal (Kungliga) Djurgården is considered to date from 1579, which is when the name was used for the first time. It referred to the enclosed deer park established by Johan III for elk, red deer and reindeer. which occupied a small area of southern Djurgården In the 1680s Karl XI enclosed the whole of southern and northern Djurgården to provide extensive hunting grounds.

Djurgården - trees in their autumn finery
   
Southern Djurgården.Today this island is the busiest leisure area in Sweden with several museums and it is also the section of the National City Park that receives most visitors. Bird life is intensive around Isbladskärret and the summer palace of Rosendal, built in early 19th century is woth a visit.

Isbladskärret

Rosendal Palace
   
Northern Djurgården is the largest section of the Ecopark and is divided in its turn into a number of smaller sections. See below.  
   
Kaknäs - Ladugårdsärde is one of Sweden's most important local rambling areas. In the 16th century this was agricultural land which supplied the royal barn. In 1672 it became Sweden's first military training area. It is the venue for a number of major events every year.

Kaknäs tower
   
Gärdet. This residential area was built in the 1930s in the Swedish Functional style and divides the green areas of northern Djurgården in two. It is considered one of the best examples of the style in Sweden.

View across Gärdet
   
Hjorthagen ended up outside the boundaries of the National City Park but this is where the royal red deer (hjort in Swedish) found refuge after the Karl XI's enclosed deer park was demolished in the 1820s.  
   
The Institutions. Northern Djurgården houses a number of institutions. Several of its regiments have now been disbanded, but K1, the cavalry unit which provides the mounted Palace Guard, still survives. Its museums include the Museum of Ethnography, the Technical Museum, The Police Museum, The Museum och Sport, the National Maritime Museum, the Museum of Natural History and the Bergianska Botanical Gardens. Much of Sweden's higher education is offered here - Music, Opera, Drama, Physical Education and Sport, the Swedish National Defence College, the Royal Institute of Technology and Stockholm University. Sporting facilities are provided by the Olympic Stadium, the Equestrian Stadium, the Tennis Stadium and the Royal Tennis Hall.

The museum of Natural History

The University

Bergianska Botanical Gardens
   
Lill-Jans forest - Stora Skuggan This is the area with the most unspoilt countryside in the entire Ecopark and also with the greatest biological diversity. The area also contains the Fiskartorpet ski-jump, the Octagonal House, the recreational facilities at Stora Skuggan and the restaurant Stora Skuggan.

Fiskartorpets Ski-Jump

Slalom slopes

Part of Stora Skuggan
   
Haga-Brunnsviken. This is an area with unique cultural values and one of the finest examples of English-style parkland. The jewel is the Haga Park, with the Haga Palace, Gustav III's Pavilion, the Echo Temple, the Copper Tents and the Butterfly House. The inlet called Brunnsviken is also availible for boatsigtseeing. Many of the threats facing the Ecopark are likely to affect the Brunnsviken area - mainly around the University campus at Frescati.

Echo Temple

One of the Copper Tent

Butterfly House

   
Ulriksdal - Sörentorp. When the Palace of Ulriksdal was built in the 17th century it was surrounded with a park in the French Baroque manner. Today the palace houses the offices of the World Nature Fund, the World Wildlife Fund and a museum. The museum of sculptures in its Orangery is also open to visitors. The palace theatre, called the Confidence and Ulriksdal Inn.

Ulriksdal Palace
from the park


Ulriksdal Palace
from the Water


Confidence Palace Theatre
A subordinate page to www.ekoparken.org
This Website is updated updated 2015-08-06